This is my thinking spot, soap box, scrapbook and journal. I used to create a snail-mail newsletter of the same name that I sent to friends and family a few times a year. The name, for my English readers, is the Afrikaans word for the Marguerite daisy...and also a word play on my first name. I hope you will linger a while and that you will find my musings edifying and inspirational. You are welcome.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Autumn gardening!

I love autumn! There is just something restfull about the unwinding of the days, something deliciously lazy in the way the leaves are starting to turn their colour and will soon be drifting groundwards. And although temperatures soared to over 30 degrees today, the early morning was mild and lovely, so the children and I cleared out the last remains of the summer's plants in my potted garden on the patio.

Every little body helped!

I am by no means a vey prolific or skilled gardener, and yet there is something about seeing things grow that strongly appeals to my motherhood. The planting and nurturing and guiding and then the joy of those first little green shoots! Isn't it just like my joy at watching my infant son discovering last week that he can pull himself up against things, and now there's no stopping him! And since yesterday he's attempting to wave with wild windmill swipes when we say "ta-ta!" My precious young seedling is growing stronger every day, and with every new morning my heart expands just a little more to make room for the love!


In pensive mood...

Have pink ballerina skirt, will do garden work in it!

So today we cleared away the last of the tomato plants that yielded quite a nice harvest this year. And I pulled out the dried stalks - all that remained of the blatantly bold zinnias. And we swept the patio and  watered the lemon tree and every now and then I stuck my finger into baby's mouth to take out grass or dirt or twigs. At one point I turned around to see the little fellow flat on his belly on the paving, lapping up a trickle of water running down from the pots! Good thing we're not germ freaks around here, hey!


It's thirsty work, this!


I LOVE doing these things with my children - they halve the effort and double the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails